Frequently Asked Questions

I want to use a Peter Gabriel master recording. Who should I contact?

These rights are complex. We maintain an up to date database, so start with us. If we do not control the rights we will forward your request. Contact Us.

I want to use a master recording controlled by Real World Records Ltd, can I contact you with my request?

If you have a query for Real World Records you will need to contact the record company (Real World Records Tel: +44 (0)845 146 1733 or email We can only assist you with queries that relate to the compositions that we publish.

I want to use a composition as part of a Dramatic performance. ( ie in a play). Do I need to obtain permission?

Yes. If you are using a composition as part of a dramatic performance then you will need to apply for permission. An example of a dramatic performance could be using one or more compositions as part of a story, or plot. This could be accompanied or unaccompanied by dialogue, dance, pantomime or stage action. For a dramatic performance you would need to apply for a Grant Rights licence. You can do this by completing our Music Request Form.

I want to record and release a cover

In the UK + Europe you may record a cover subject to paying the statutory mechanical licence in the territory. BUT you may not change the arrangement, music or lyrics. This would breach the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 and also infringe up on the moral rights of the composer(s). The composer(s) do need to be properly credited as well as the Publishers. Apply here for Credit Information

I am performing cover versions live. Do I need permission?

If you are performing in the UK you don?t need to obtain permission. It is the venue you are performing at that will need to obtain a PRS licence. The venue will also be responsible for providing PRS (Performing Rights Society) with the details of whose songs have been performed. (Only PRS significant venues make these returns ? but all venues with live music in the UK need to have a PRS licence).

I am a student film maker and want to use a song in my film. Will I be able to obtain a free licence?

We try to support student film makers where possible. However, we are in the business of representing artists/ composers who rely on their music as a primary source of income and we have to represent their interests. If you have a limited music budget then we would look to you for a proposed fee. An administration fee may also be applicable.

How much will a licence cost?

We do not have a 'fixed' price for licensing a song. This is because there are many variables that will contribute to our decision. Any quotation that we give takes into consideration (amongst other factors) the rights required and the budget you are working with.

How long will it take to clear a song for licensing?

Depending on the song and the nature of the request, it may take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks, or perhaps longer, to clear a song.

How do I obtain a licence?

Once you have decided which track(s) you intend to use then we will ask you to complete a Music Request Form. This serves as an application. This will give us a better understanding of how you intend to use the music and help us decide whether or not we can permit the use. We will also ask the Artist for approval. It is very important that you give us as much information as possible at this stage so that we, and the artist/composer, can make a well informed decision.

How do I clear a sample?

Fill our the Music Request Form and follow these steps: 1) Please send us the new song as an MP3 telling us which sample you have used and where in your new song it appears (please provide clock reference). 2) Send us a copy of the song without the sample 3) Send us a copy of the actual sample used and tell us where you got it from